Friday, April 19, 2013

No Nap

It was one of those mornings, when you stayed up too late watching tv and talking about the problems in the world with your husband and now your regretting it because your baby woke up at five thirty. I was so looking forward to nap time. However, we played soccer in the hall, colored, chased, and ate unhealthy snacks together. I was really feeling like a good mom and dreaming of sitting down for my Pepsi break (for some reason it taste so much better in a big goblet. Just try it one day.) and watching the show I said I would never watch, vampire diaries. I can't believe I'm hooked. I tried to hate it but it sucked me in. Anyways, on with my story of being so ready to sit down and regain energy for the next shift of being mom. It was finally that beautiful time, that time that gets me out of bed in the morning knowing it will come soon, you all know it. We call it ...nap time.

We read stories and I said nu night and went to pour my goblet of caffeine. As I sat down, the little monster decided he wanted to still be playing. I could her him whining and calling mom. I decided to try and ignore it to see if it would go away. It didn't. So, I didn't get bugged and recognized mom needed a minute to sit and it was okay. So... I went and saved my sweet little blue eyed boy, wrapped him in a blanket, grabbed the iPad and turned on the tv. Kellen and I cuddled up close.  he watched the iPad and mom watched her show. He would look up at me every so often and give me that buck tooth grin as if to say this is awesome!

So, today I took a break, which I don't usually do. I guilt myself into getting up and cleaning or folding laundry. Today I recognized that to be on top of my game for the remainder of the day I needed a short break and I took it. And to be honest a memory was made. An image of my 21 month old was imprinted in my mind as we stole short gazes at each other. In taking a minute to be still and hold my son while we watched shows I fell I love a little more, the tantrum he threw an hour later was easier to deal with, and no nap time became one of those sacred mom moments when you take in everything about your child, the uneven haircut I just gave him, the smell of baby soap from his
recent bath, and the little crease in his chubby wrist that one day will disappear. I took it all in and decided that sometimes no naps are pretty awesome!


This is old but still cute!


No comments:

Post a Comment